Mine Olde Mind

For this post, I have yet to really determine the reasons for why it is the way it is. Lets start with some statistics.... over 50%.

50% of marriages fail, they end in divorce. Worse than that even, the percentage is the same within the church.

Why do marriages fail? I have no idea, it is just the way it it. Maybe it is too hard for some couples, maybe they didn't realize what it would take to love this person their whole life unconditionally. I know that so far in my marriage, it has not always been roses and roasts (eg, good for the both of us). I have decided each day to love this man, and that is what it is is a decision.

I believe that though society and culture are relatively neutral entities, and that the individual is in charge of what he/she does, our society and the acceptance of divorce within it has made marriage a sham...something returnable. Please don't get me wrong, I understand that there are cases out there that involve abuse, and I believe that physical abuse is not to be tolerated. However, any other situation, you have had a say in whether or not you marry that person. You know what the word implies. It implies forever, your whole life, together, good times and bad. I believe that problems can be worked out, it may take years and lots of prayer, but they can be worked out.

Our families these days are separated by miles and miles; children blown to the four winds are not there to care for their parents as they once were able to. It is, after all, an individualistic society. Now, most of our cherished old are put into "homes" that are not home to them, visited rarely by those they brought into this world. I think this is one major, let me stress MAJOR, problem with the way our society thinks. A wealth of knowledge, experience and love is captured within that dear individual, grown over a lifetime it is ready to be shared in its completeness. We, however, have lacked the necessary attention span to be there and to listen.

Lastly, It is the same individualism of the parents (pursuing career, etc.) that often affects the coming generation. Children, often to their parent's dislike, must be put into daycare so that the parents can work to earn a living in this country. What happens is, by the time the parents pick the kids up from daycare, and get home, and have supper, everyone is too tired to do much of anything as a family. This leads to parents not knowing their children, and children not knowing or much respecting their parents. As always there are rare exceptions to the case.

These conclude some observations on family life in our society. In brief, it has degraded as our individualistic society has flourished.
(disclaimer for those who would care: I have seen each of these situations within my own family. Note also that I have not used any superlatives. There are always exceptions to rules, I merely observe and record things of note that might make you think.)
(note also that I know the necessity of some of these conventions but none the less they do harm the family unit within our society. [eg. daycare so that parents can put food on the table])

One Response so far.

  1. Kelley says:

    First, gotta tell you: I love your new blog look. Very easy on the eye and kinda relaxing.

    I think you nailed it when you said "individualistic." Even during my lifetime, I have seen our society become much more self-centered. When you are putting others cares before your own, you are loving as Christ loves us.

Leave a Reply