Mine Olde Mind

Who, in this day and age, is not familiar with the ever so 6th grade "click syndrome"? This is the pettiest of expressions of our allergic-ness to diversity. Now don't get me wrong, I believe that we are drawn to those whom we have something in common with. I do find it important though, to stir things up a bit with who you make your friends.

For instance, I never would have guessed that I would like or even approve of hunting. News for you.... things change, people change, and now I approve of and even want to try hunting sometime (may not actually hunt to kill... depends on how hungry I am! LOL). I still have my limits, as is evident by the parenthesized text, but I am more open-minded about that subject now that I know people who do it, why they do it, what the effect is on the animal, and other such things as that.

Diversity in our friendships is a mechanism to experience new things and to learn. Any chance I get to become less ignorant... I will take!

Instead of viewing someone as threatening because they are different from you, you should try to find one thing that you can agree on, and from that you can get to know that person better. Learn from them and about them. This new information should of course be processed through your "value" and "moral" filters, but what agrees can stay and what differs can be tested and either proven or disregarded. All of this (filtering and differing in opinions), makes for great conversation that need not be threatening to either party, thereby building understanding and friendship.

I have recently been challenged on the fact that if I don't immediately "click" with a person, I will set that relationship to the side and keep hunting for a friend "more like me". I have missed so many opportunities, I am sure, and will be certain not to make those mistakes again.

Well that is all for now, I hope this perspective will shed some light on your own relationships and make you look for that different, probably crazier friend. A little crazy goes a long way toward adventure and happiness.

Note: I use crazy in the best of terms, I myself am often described as crazy, I take it to mean: perfectly sane but rather unusual.

Categories: ,

Leave a Reply